Retain upgrade paths (was: /etc/redhat-release?)

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Wed Sep 24 18:08:38 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 00:45, Axel Thimm wrote:

> Could a better mechanism be created before the 25th that enables
> disttags to be carried on? Please use no epoch/release, and make the
> version be (rpm-)bigger than "9". Also keep redhat-release as a proper
> package carrying that version information.

I see no reason not to continue incrementing the version number from
"Red Hat Linux" and just use 10.  Yes, there have been big changes with
changing the name to Fedora Linux and changing the development model
from a commerical product to a community project, but it isn't a totally
new distribution and the versioning shouldn't start from zero.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *
*     Tired of spam and viruses in your e-mail?  Get the     *
* Naked Ape Mail Defender! http://nakedape.cc/r/maildefender *