I volunteer

Jack Neely jjneely at pams.ncsu.edu
Thu Sep 25 17:01:03 UTC 2003

Folks,

I volunteer.

First off, I am the Linux guy at NC State University.  I maintain a Red
Hat based distribution called Realm Linux (http://linux.ncsu.edu) along
with large Beowulf clusters and all the meetings and mess to spear head
a Linux movement at NCSU.

I can be found on irc.freenode.net as slack.

What I am interested in:

LPRng - NCSU can't use Cups until me or someone else has the time to
make cups use kerberos authentication.  I'm thinking this will appear in
Alternatives RSN but I'll keep an eye out for it.

OpenAFS - I maintain some pretty decent OpenAFS packages that I like a
lot more than the RPMs from upstream.  Mine are FHS compliant, and build
kernel modules properly.  I would even volunteer to maintain OpenAFS
packages for the community.  However, I need some help to figure out how
a default configuration should work and how site specific configuration
should be done.  Namely, each site must specify what AFS cell they are
in and probably wish to make changes to the list of cells that the
client can see.  Also I would be willing to maintain an aklog package
since 1) it doesn't change much and 2) I assume that most folks (I am)
are using MIT kerberos with OpenAFS.

18 month lifetime - I need an 18 month or longer lifetime.  Looks like this is
where Fedora Legacy comes in to play.  I've been talking with several
people along the same lines.  I'm fortunate in that I've gotten most
things taken care of to the point that I'll only need to support RHL 9
and greater past Red Hat's EOL date.  Although, I think I may have a
couple 7.3 servers to take care of (binary Promise RAID drivers).  I'd
like to do what I can to help form the Fedora Legacy part of the
project.
--
Jack Neely <slack at quackmaster.net>
Realm Linux Administration and Development