I volunteer

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Sep 25 17:27:36 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 13:01, Jack Neely wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I volunteer.

Cool. I'm up for maintenance too - but at first I think it will be on
7.3 and 9 backports and making yum suck less. :)

> OpenAFS - I maintain some pretty decent OpenAFS packages that I like a
> lot more than the RPMs from upstream.  Mine are FHS compliant, and build
> kernel modules properly.  I would even volunteer to maintain OpenAFS
> packages for the community.  However, I need some help to figure out how
> a default configuration should work and how site specific configuration
> should be done.  Namely, each site must specify what AFS cell they are
> in and probably wish to make changes to the list of cells that the
> client can see.  Also I would be willing to maintain an aklog package
> since 1) it doesn't change much and 2) I assume that most folks (I am)
> are using MIT kerberos with OpenAFS.

I use these packages here at duke (more or less)

the biggest problem to work around has todo with kernel updates and
openafs version updates.

the openafs kernel modules are built to a specific kernel version and
therefore must be install-only -not hard.

However, if you update the version of openafs the newer openafs may not
work with the older kernel module versions.

So a suggestion would be to backport patches to whatever version of
openafs gets released with the fedora core release.

or

do openafs-version-release-numbered kernel modules.
which is pretty damned ugly.

-sv