free software guidelines

Roozbeh Pournader roozbeh at sharif.edu
Thu Sep 25 23:11:00 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 02:08, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> My view is that we can be a bit more liberal about font licenses than
> software licenses.

Well, it's a real pain not to be able to add a certain missing character
to a font, because the license doesn't allow. Getting used to a font and
then needing to switch it since a certain Euro Sign is invented and you
are not allowed to change the font, is almost as bad as being addicted
to pine. Less is sometimes more, in that regard.

Why software should be free? Because it's a pain in the ass for the
hackers if it's not so. Why fonts should be free? Because of the same
reason, but with s/hackers/font hackers/ this time.

The same issue is there about graphics (say, background images).

roozbeh