fedora only for US users ?

Sat Sep 27 12:41:11 UTC 2003

Nils Philippsen wrote:
> [ resending without signature due to sutpid mailing list software ]
>
> On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 11:47, Nils Philippsen wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 10:18, Cosmic Flo wrote:

>>>- mozilla is only configured for US (language for web page, interface), the
>>>selected language at install have no importance.
>>
>>Upstream bug I guess (is Mozilla multi-language aware? I don't see any
>>message catalogs...). --> bugzilla.mozilla.org

Mozilla localization is modular and released out-of-sync (i.e. when a
version is ready american is always done and various volunteer groups
try to catch up). Whether that means moz rpm should be localized out of
the box (with multiple sources) or each locale should have its own rpm
is another interesting question. Old RedHat Netscape rpms were localised
using Mozilla files that were probably already released out-of-sync like
now.

The real stupid thing is moz will check translations are done for the
exact version installed so one can not have partial translations like
for normal apps - either its 100% done or not at all. As a result
finding a localized moz version is an hassle (that's one big reason
people use epy or galeon - *their* translations do not break every release)

Another point is moz themes - a selection of the best ones should be
included in an extra rpm IMHO.

The whole moz logic of install core then click on verious menus to
download the missing bits (locale, theme, dicts...) is very windowish
and requires much work from rpm packagers. The current packaging is good
for US businesses but bad for the average non-US end-user. I hope Fedora
will improve on it.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot