OpenGroupware.org?

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Sat Sep 27 12:43:17 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 05:12, Florian La Roche wrote:

> It's great how many groupware projects are getting usable. It's still not
> clear on what should be a default one that most users can be happy with.

Sorta reminds me of journaling filesystems; for a couple years a moaned
that there were none, then all of a sudden there were four.

I haven't looked too closely at Kolab/Kroupware, but I believe it
(ab)uses an IMAP mail box to store calendar/schedule/etc settings, and
(I think) LDAP for contacts.  Yay for writable LDAP addressbooks!  Needs
the proprietary Bynari InsightConnector for Outlook; has native KDE
applications under Linux.

OGo seems to take the approach of implemented standard protocols for
calendar and schedule stuff, and providing WebDAV and XML-RPC
interfaces.  Currently only the web interface is usable from Linux;
there is a proprietary add-on that let's it work natively with Outlook.
There are projects underway to implement plug-ins for Evolution and
Mozilla, and a Java-based Glow, which is vaguely related to
OpenOffice.org.  Doesn't use LDAP for addressbooks in the web interface
:(

Personally, I prefer OGo since it uses standard protocols for
calendar/schedule/etc, rather than abusing IMAP.  We've been needing
open protocols for these things for a long time; an open source server
implementing them /should/ spur development of clients supporting them.

> More comments from someone looking at these more closely? Would be good to
> see some of them packaged into Fedora Addon for better/easier evaluation.

Harald was packaging OpenGroupware.org for RH9 for a while; he probably
found higher-priority things to do.  I was rebuilding them under 7.3
with no problems; I had to stop to, um, get married.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * * *  Linux Services for Small Businesses  * * * * * *
*       Easy, reliable solutions for small businesses       *
*    Naked Ape Business Server http://nakedape.cc/r/sms     *