fedora only for US users ?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Sat Sep 27 13:28:49 UTC 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Cosmic Flo wrote:
> - at first time wizard, keyboard configuration is US, not the selected
> language at install.
>
> - mozilla is only configured for US (language for web page, interface), the
> selected language at install have no importance.
>
> - evolution's meteo is Boston US, I have selected an other city in Europe.
>
> - the fedora.redhat.com web site (presentation, pages, documentation) is
> only in English language, I have made some propositions to translate it but
> no translation project have started.
>
> I think that now the fedora project is more open to community, it's time to
> really open it to all languages.

http://fedora.redhat.com/about/rhel.html says about Fedore Core:

Users: Early adopters, enthusiasts, developers

How big a percentage of the above-mentioned user group does not speak
English?

Note that it's about being able to read/speak/write English, it has
nothing to do with "US" or not.

My personal belief is that most of the internationalization efforts are of
very low priority for that particular user group.  There are more pressing
issues to handle (such as, making it possible to get external
contributions on packages etc. to Fedora, getting the infrastructure ready
all in all, etc.) first.

YMMV.