Kernel Question

Vincent pros-n-cons at bak.rr.com
Sat Sep 27 21:22:26 UTC 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:08:56 -0500
Jason Luka <jason at geshp.com> wrote:

> Vincent wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:14:01 -0500
> >Jason Luka <jason at geshp.com> wrote:
> >

> >>I'm thinking about working on a graphic boot for the kernel. When the
> >>kernel is loading with 'vga=' there's a graphic in the upper corner.
> >>Does anybody know where in the source code it gets this graphic from?
> >>

> >Is this what you're looking for?
> >http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=26494&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=framebuffer&sid=688826262f12795e5751991efcf9a9c4
> >
> >/etc/sysconfig/i18n # fonts stuff
> >
> >/etc/sysconfig/init # colors, custom messages stuff
> >

> >--
> >

> After much experimentation, I have been unable to make that work. The
> 'make xconfig' doesn't list 'use splash screen instead of boot logo' as
> an option. Any suggestions?

Did you install bootsplash? "I think" all linux kernels have the 'penguin' built
into intrid by default, for the full backgrounds stuff you'll need bootsplash.
www.bootsplash.org.
I'm no athority on the subject I just remembered reading about it before and posted the link. Bootspash.org seemed to clear it up for me though I'm just not sure how compatible it is with RH since it was initially a suse thing.