fedora only for US users ?

Sun Sep 28 08:30:35 UTC 2003

Pekka Savola wrote:
> I don't think it's constructive to continue this thread, but I'll just
> point out something here..
>
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>>Someone that can read README's in tarballs is not going to wait for the
>>latest and greatest to be packaged in a Fedora rpm.
>

> Wrong.  Many (almost all I know) people which use a RPM-centric
> distribution actually prefer to get their packages in RPM format.

Sure. But they do not need to.
Just like your people that more or less understand english do not need a
localized UI but won't bother with an english one unless they absolutely
have to.

> They're certainly *not* going to install the stuff from a tarball.
>
> Whether they wait for Fedora, or just re-package the RPM with newest stuff
> themselves, is a different question.

Not at all. If they repackage outside Fedora they're outside of the
scope of this discussion (and just repackaging != meeting Fedora's
contribution standards as a lot of people here should know).

In the Fedora world quality packaging is paramount and this includes
attention to localization. People are just not going to test a pile of
crappy packages (not the case in the commercial world but there testers
are paid).

--
Nicolas Mailhot