[loganlinux at hotmail.com: Error in UP2DATE]

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Sun Sep 28 15:41:57 UTC 2003

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Florian La Roche wrote:

> I can reproduce this. rpm-4.2.1-3 on a RHL9 box with
> kernel-2.4.21-3.EL and glibc-2.3.2-27.9. Extracting a set of rpms
> seems to always give a corrupt rpm database. The only note-worthy
> thing is a failed kernel postinstall for those rpms. I'll check if I
> can find some more details.

It's likely the db4/nptl combo doing wierd things. Try setting
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 *or* recompiling the rpm package after
disabling --enable-posixmutexes in the rpm.spec file.

Search the rpm-list list archives for 'O_DIRECT' and/or
'posixmutexes'. There's a whole set of ugliness goin' on, and the Red
Hat kernels have their open(2) calls hacked to avoid it. Other,
non-Red Hat kernels run into trouble with db's write() calls.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>