SystemServices info

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at cs.toronto.edu
Mon Sep 29 02:00:27 UTC 2003

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Jason Tackaberry wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 20:31, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > Seth posted more about his SystemServices thing (skip the 80s music
> > paragraph).
> > http://www.gnome.org/~seth/blog/2003/Sep/27
>
> Aside from more flexible startup notification of services during boot,
> does anyone know what other advantages this architecture provides?
>
> Certainly doing something as drastic as replacing init can't be
> justified by the end goal of having a graphical booting, so I'm quite
> keen to hear some other other benefits of SystemServices or the
> deficiencies of init/initscripts SystemServices will address.

Just my own two cents:

	* Boot time, the time before you get a login screen is
pretty long in initscripts model.

	* No way to define different profiles, for example, one
for HTTP serving, one as a workstation.

	* Silly dependency handling, by putting services in a
total order, so they can't be run in parallel.