"Fedora" in cultural connotations (Re: redhat logo on gnome menu / menu bar.)

Konstantin Riabitsev icon at linux.duke.edu
Mon Sep 29 02:47:09 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 22:22, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> That's not a good idea - that makes a symbol a meaningful part of the
> icon which is completely meaningless to people using languages that
> don't use latin letters or have the word 'Fedora'.

A bit of a humorous aside -- in popular Russian children's literature,
"Fedora" is the name of a woman who was such a poor housekeeper, that
all her belongings ran away from her screaming, including plates,
silverware, cups and glasses (who all smashed themselves in the process)
so she was left with only cats and roaches for company.

However, the story ends well, as Fedora promises that she'll take much
better care of her stuff, so it returns happily back to her, cooking her
some dinner in the process.

Not really relevant, but "Fedora" is sure to bring up a chuckle or a
grin when mentioned among people who grew up in Russia. The name of the
poem itself is "Fedora's Troubles" (Федорино Горе), so I'm sure there'll
be plenty of headlines in the Russian IT press playing off of that. :)

Cheers,
--
Konstantin Riabitsev <icon at linux.duke.edu>
Linux at DUKE