SystemServices info

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Sep 29 17:19:29 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 12:09, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Sure. But java is not really legacy and I don't see how we can ever get
> rid of the shell system adaptation layer for java apps (gcj may one day
> be an answer, but will all bytecode java apps be ever replaced by
> natively build ones ?). Even c++ apps like moz often start via a shell
> script. I'd felt better about this new system if it catered to the needs
> of shell wrappers (other than putting them in a legacy bin).

You're just talking terminology I think. If it runs LSB init scripts,
maybe with extensions to do any additional stuff RH init scripts
currently allow, then what other catering do you want?
There's no way we'd ever be able to remove this support, so perhaps
"legacy" is the wrong word. "Classic" ;-)

Of course there are tons of issues and I'm as skeptical as anyone, but
we should keep an open mind and encourage people to try to improve the
boot process.

Using D-BUS is an interesting experiment; it does potentially offer a
more robust approach to locking than pid files, and a method for doing
dependencies and parallel service launching. On the other hand, there
are possible problems.

Havoc