HAL 0.1 available

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 02:42:30 UTC 2003

Greg KH (greg at kroah.com) said:
> > >  1. I see that hotplug-2002_04_01 is current in fedora core; are
> > >     there any reasons that later packages e.g. hotplug-2003_08_05 +
> > >     hotplug-base-2003_08_05 isn't shipped?
> >
> > Not enough round tuits.
>
> Is there anything I can do as the person who releases the hotplug
> packages?

Give me more hours in a day. :)

> I notice that Red Hat does tweak the way the hotplug package starts up
> (as part of the rc.sysinit script) and doesn't use the
> /etc/init.d/hotplug service script.  Any big reason why?

As I recall...

a) we didn't do anything with PCI events
b) halfway through the runlevel is way too late to start USB

> Anything I can
> do to the main package to help Red Hat out?  I know we've made changes
> to help Debian out :)

Honestly, I'm of the opinion that usb host controllers, HID layer,
and the HID keyboard driver should be built into the kernel and
not managed that way by hotplug at all. That's sort of unrelated
to the hotplug scripts themselves, though.

> > >  2. Will there be a 2.6 kernel in extras anytime soon? (Late version of
> > >     hotplug is required to handle new kernel events, e.g. scsi)
> >
> > There's Arjan's kernel at http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/
>
> The initscripts complain in a few places with a 2.6 kernel (no
> /proc/bus/usb/drivers for example).  Care for me to send patches for
> this against the latest cvs tree?

Sure, just make sure they don't break booting 2.4 as well. :)

Some of it will probably be handled for this release by backwards
compat aliases in modutils.

Bill