Kind request: Set release version to "10" (was: Retain upgrade paths)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 30 07:58:24 UTC 2003

Before this thread vanishes into nirvana:

I'd like to kindly request to set to release version to "10" or
something higher than "9.0.94".

It would neither hurt marketing goals, nor any technical issues, but
it helps a lot with 3rd party repos supporting more than just the
latest release. Embedding (rpm-)increasing tags into the package
release ensures sane upgrade paths (similar to some Red Hat errata
releases like the kernel rpms). If you have questions on the technical
background follow up the thread.

If there isn't any compelling reason for setting the release version
to "1", please consider helping 3rd party repos with a sane release
version. After all part of the new open source movement is to better
support external developers and packagers.

Thank you.

Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de