[RFC] User Accesable Filesystem Hierarchy Standard

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Mon Apr 5 13:53:18 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 16:39 +0300, Doncho N. Gunchev wrote:
>     I really dislike all these hidden dotfiles/dotdirs in my home directory
> and am happy to see someone is working on this. I was thinking it would be
> better if we had ~/etc/bashrc instead of ~/.bashrc and so on, but I see much
> more general ideas here, so here's what I think looking at it:

~/{bin|etc|...}/ is a lot worse than
~/.{bin|etc|...}/

But what's really good is to have:

~/.YouNameIt/{bin|etc|...}

YouNameIt could be something like 'myapps_root' whatever.

I think a ~/.distributionName/{bin|etc|...} doesn't make a lot of sense.

The advantage of having this in a single directory is, for instance,
sharing.

BUT STAY AWAY FROM STUPID VISIBLE DIRECTORIES IN ~/   (oh
 well, maybe in this case one can tolerate a visible ~/YouNameIt since
not only you're not forced to use it, but also there might be an
interest in using it, just don't add a few couple of hundreds of
uselless directories in the desktop.

It's IMNSHO completely idiotic to have those kinds of directories, even
Evolution evolved from ~/evolution into ~/.evolution (thank you guys :))

<rant>

Nautilus does it properly with the Trash (~/.Trash/) but could do better
(~/.nautilus/Trash/ would reduce the number of .files in ~/). However,
they regressed with a Templates directory, ie, VISIBLE and non
removeable (except from the .c[onfiguration] files/dirs in ~/ which you
don't normally use).

</rant>

+ So let's do it...?