compiling 2.4.x kernel on FC2

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Apr 19 06:13:00 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 17:40, Warren Togami wrote:
> Alex Fielding wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to compile a 2.4.22 kernel on the Fedora Core test 2
> > distribution (1.91).  I find that the normal sequence of steps that work
> > perfectly fine on the same machine under Fedora Core 1 cause various
> > kernel panics during boot. Has anyone tried compiling a 2.4.x kernel
> > under FC2, is there anything different that needs to be done?
> > Alex
> >

> You probably need gcc32.  It was removed from FC2 because the 2.4 kernel
> was the only reason it was kept for FC1.  You can try to install gcc32
> from FC1... I have no idea if it will work, but you can try.

What I always _always_ do before compiling a kernel of my own - I
compile gcc 2.95.3 from source and put it in /opt/kernel/gcc

3.x may work fine - but last I looked, 2.95.3 is the one specified in
the readme file to use if you are having problems, so I just use that
one from the start.

I do apply the LFS patches to it, they don't do anything special - but
if you only compile the C compiler - then nvidia's geforce driver won't
install properly (unless you modify the makefile in their installer to
remove the flags that really don't need to be there) - the patches that
the lfs project has takes care of that.

--
Cheap Linux CD's - http://mpeters.us/linux/