What makes a production kernel?

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Mon Apr 26 11:43:44 UTC 2004

I've been looking at the 4KSTACKS option and it is no longer a compile time
option in the latest FC kernels. Apparently 2.6.6 will drop it as a
compile time option to also.

I understand the logic behind 4K stack and I understand that free software
shouldn't have to sit around waiting to improve because commercial software
companies are slow to respond.

Unfortunately 4K stacks bite ndiswrapper in the butt, at least for some drivers.
The Intel 2100 windows drivers plays a stack trick to allocate some memory
that breaks on 4K stack kernels. Time to puzzle through the encryption support
required for the native driver.

Philip