sg (scsi generic) again

Jurgen Botz jurgen at botz.org
Thu Apr 29 15:47:00 UTC 2004

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 00:22, Jurgen Botz wrote:
>
>>So at one point it was dropped because "deprecated", now it's
>>back in, but in 2.6.5-1.327 at least it seems to be broken...
>

> why?
> Repeat after me:
> You don't need sg to burn cd's.

I didn't say I was trying to burn CDs, I said sg isn't working.
I was using the cdrecord -scanbus output as a diagnostic, not
because I wanted to use cdrecord.

I was actually trying to /rip/ CDs... but grip also wants to
use sg.

 > cdrecord --dev=/dev/scd0 foo.iso

Now maybe there is a workaround with grip as there is with
cdrecord, but in any case things that the user expects to
work don't, or don't work as documented.

For example, every shred of documentation on CD burning on
linux that you can find anywhere tells you that the first
thing you should do is 'cdrecord -scanbus'.  And as things
are right now, if you have SCSI device and no sg module (or
no /working/ sg module) this doesn't do anything useful.
It certainly doesn't tell you to use '--dev=/dev/scd0'.

:j