Future: fhs 2.3 compliance for fc3

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Thu Apr 1 22:46:40 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 15:35, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> > > IMAP and remote smtp server, or something along those lines. Print
> > > servers.
> > >
> > > You could have "writable /var" as a possible configuration, too.
> >
> > You can get away with most of that except when the CxO box dies while an
> > email was being sent and its gone. Murphy seems to strike on this one
> > more than statistically should be possible...
>
> If you're doing direct SMTP, then having a writable /var doesn't help in
> this case, either.  Hopefully your mail client saves to a file (which
> would be in the home dir) and then does the smtp transaction, removing
> the file from the home dir after that succeeds.

The boxes were configured to use the local SMTP for some reason (I dont
know.. I just had to debug the problem). Thus the mail went from
client -> sendmail/var/spool/clientmqueue -> power-outage ooops

The solution was to set up /var/spool/ as a NFS mounted rw. [Getting the
200+ clients to do direct writes and hoping the client did the write
thing with a temp file was left to a grad student who is probably still
rueing the day he crossed my path.]

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645
-- You should consider any operational computer to be a security problem --