Future: fhs 2.3 compliance for fc3

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Apr 2 01:52:33 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> said:
> Heh, that's just sick.  How about my statement holding for when the
> clients are set up correctly? :-)  (ie, if you don't use local sendmail
> and just do smtp, then local /var/spool isn't needed)

Way too many programs expect to be able to call /usr/sbin/sendmail to
assume everything will use SMTP.  And really, that is how it should be;
why should every program be required to have an SMTP client built-in?

The nice thing about that is that you are pretty much guaranteed that
you can send mail at any time, even if the network is down.  Sendmail
(or another local mailer) will queue the mail locally and send it when
it can.  It is not a good idea to have things like cron jobs get stuck
or lose their output because a remote SMTP server was unreachable.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>