Future: fhs 2.3 compliance for fc3

Barry K. Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Fri Apr 2 21:04:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 11:41:30AM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> Alleged.  Thats just it.  I haven't ran across anybody who uses Linux
> that uses /mnt as a mountpoint.  Everybody I've talked to and worked
> with will create their own temp dir under /mnt and mount things there.

Hmmm....

Maybe I shouldn't make a fool of myself in public ;) but I used to, at
some point in the past, use /mnt itself as a mountpoint. However, that
was several years ago; nowadays I create subdirectories in /mnt like
most other Linux users.

Using /mnt directly is often done on other Unix-like operating
systems, so anybody still doing that today is probably coming over from
another Unix-like OS. (For instance, I'm logged into a Solaris 8 box in
another xterm, and I just checked if /mnt there has subdirectories. It
doesn't.)

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>