Dependency hell

Richard Hally rhally at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 3 06:22:50 UTC 2004

Warren Togami wrote:

> Richard Hally wrote:
>
>> Please see the list of my attempts to update  my system  to  rawhide.
>> The thing that seems most incorrect is that rpm or yum do not report
>> correctly the packages that need to be excluded.  Since there always
>> seems to be some dependency problem (one gets fixed but another one
>> stops the update) it would seem that a reliable way to determine
>> which packages to exclude would be very helpful and save time that
>> can be put to better use. thanks for any help,
>> Richard Hally
>

> 1) Development and test releases never were supported and there is
> never the expectation that upgrades will go smoothly all the time.  We
> try our best to prevent breakage whenever possible, but these things
> inevitably periodically happen when you have dozens of developers
> working on many interlocking pieces of the puzzle.  We are working on
> improving the standard processes to avoid more of these issues in the
> future, but eliminating it completely may never happen.
>
> 2) apt-get upgrade (but not dist-upgrade) avoids the missing pieces
> automatically.  All the way through FC2 test1 to current rawhide it
> has worked for me in not leaving a broken system.  The current selinux
> policy problem needs to be solved though.  Panu have you communicated
> with the selinux people about this?
>
> Warren

Thanks Warren,  I understand your 1)  above, that is why it is important
to provide the mechanism to enable people to work around the problem in
a reasonably proficient manner.
I'll look into this apt-get , perhaps yet another "update mechanism"
will be the answer ;-)
p.s.  I've been lurking on the SELinux list since early 2001 and my main
reason for getting involved with Fedora is to work on SELinux. Perhaps
I'll be able to "pick up a shovel" once I get past spending so much time
on this "dependency hell".
Thanks for your help,
Richard Hally