Future: fhs 2.3 compliance for fc3

Florian La Roche laroche at redhat.com
Sat Apr 3 09:54:44 UTC 2004

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 11:38:26AM +0200, Kai Blin wrote:
> On Friday 02 April 2004 21:41, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > Alleged.  Thats just it.  I haven't ran across anybody who uses Linux
> > that uses /mnt as a mountpoint.  Everybody I've talked to and worked
> > with will create their own temp dir under /mnt and mount things there.
>
> Fearing to warm up the old discussion, A quick look at some of the Linux
> kernel Documentation/ directory reveals that most examples assume you're
> using /mnt as a single mountpoint. Not that I think you should do it that
> way, but I think that shows it's not too unusual. Agreed, RedHat didn't, but
> a lot of other distros seem to do it that way.

Red Hat has an empty directory called "/mnt" and some people use it to
mount single further fs, some add further subdirs to mount more media.

By changing from "/mnt" to "/media" you have the same setup and anyone
can choose to use it how they like. As Alan Cox said, some might choose
to always mount their mp3 files to /media.

FHS helps a lot to set common rules for applications and standardize
them, it won't be able to educate all users or tell them how to use their
distribution.

Maybe "/srv" has more items on the cons side. What does debian and gentoo
do on that side?

greetings,

Florian La Roche