[RFC] User Accesable Filesystem Hierarchy Standard

Doncho N. Gunchev mr700 at globalnet.bg
Mon Apr 5 15:08:35 UTC 2004

On Monday 05 April 2004 16:53, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 16:39 +0300, Doncho N. Gunchev wrote:
> >     I really dislike all these hidden dotfiles/dotdirs in my home directory
> > and am happy to see someone is working on this. I was thinking it would be
> > better if we had ~/etc/bashrc instead of ~/.bashrc and so on, but I see much
> > more general ideas here, so here's what I think looking at it:
>
> ~/{bin|etc|...}/ is a lot worse than
> ~/.{bin|etc|...}/
>
> But what's really good is to have:
>
> ~/.YouNameIt/{bin|etc|...}
>
> YouNameIt could be something like 'myapps_root' whatever.
>
> I think a ~/.distributionName/{bin|etc|...} doesn't make a lot of sense.
>

> The advantage of having this in a single directory is, for instance,
> sharing.
    You can not share binaries from diferent distributions or even
diferent distribution versions sometimes. As I said, I have RH9 which
uses db-4.0 and FC1 which uses db-4.1. If I had debian too, I'm almost
sure debian's db-x.x would not be compatible with RH/FC's db-x.x.
That is the idea of having ~/.younameit/arch/distro-ver/bin. If you check
a bit later in my mail you will se I suggested configurable base:
--- /etc/uafhs ---
UAFHSBASE="$HOME/uafhs/$ARCH/$DIST-$DIST_VER"
--- cut ---
    This way you can customize it the way you like - UAFHSBASE="$HOME/uafhs"
for example. It could even be UAFHSBASE="$HOME/.YouNameIt", which is what
you prefer, right?

> BUT STAY AWAY FROM STUPID VISIBLE DIRECTORIES IN ~/   (oh
>  well, maybe in this case one can tolerate a visible ~/YouNameIt since
> not only you're not forced to use it, but also there might be an
> interest in using it, just don't add a few couple of hundreds of
> uselless directories in the desktop.
    I prefer many visible configuration files in configurable base
directory instead of many hidden configuration files in my home
directory.

Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev    Registered Linux User #291323 at counter.li.org
  GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/DA454F79
  Key fingerprint = 684F 688B C508 C609 0371  5E0F A089 CB15 DA45 4F79