FC2T2 boot floppies

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Apr 8 01:21:42 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 17:35 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 15:55, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 15:46, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > > Your best bets are a) use grub to boot the kernel/initrd from an already
> > > installed system or b) wait a couple days when pendrive type images will
> > > be available for booting from usb doohickeys. [2]
> >
> > Why wouldn't a regular grub boot floppy with no kernel work?
> > Granted - you'd have to tell grub how to boot manually (unless grub has
> > a CD (x) type syntax - as they do with floppy drives)
> >
> > I'll look in the grub info page and see if I can figure something out -
> > since my system doesn't boot from the CD's, I can test it.

> Well - I couldn't get it to work.
> I tried root (cd0) and grub didn't like that.
> Knowing that the El Torrito fakes a floppy for booting, I tried it as
> fd1 and that didn't work either (device doesn't exist)

It won't work.  El Torito actually only fakes a floppy if you're using
the legacy floppy emulation mode.  These days we use the more enhanced
mode which lets you use larger than 2.88 MB images.  And, unfortunately,
unless you boot from it, the BIOS has no way of accessing the CD drive
and thus, neither does grub.

Jeremy