usb modules not loaded (w/ fix)

Jurgen Botz jurgen at botz.org
Sat Apr 10 19:39:24 UTC 2004

Some time in the last week or so my system stopped loading
the usb bus driver modules, uhci_hcd and ehci_hcd, at startup.

In rc.sysinit, there is the following test:

    if ! LC_ALL=C fgrep -q "usb" /proc/devices 2>/dev/null ; then
       aliases=`/sbin/modprobe -c | awk '/^alias usb-controller/ { print
$3 }'`

Presumably the intent is that if usb already appears in
/proc/devices, then the driver must already be loaded / or
compiled into the kernel?  Well, for whatever reason my system
now shows a line:

      180 usb

in /proc/devices even without any of the usb modules being loaded,
so the above test finds that doesn't execute its body.

My solution for now was to comment out the condition, executing
the body unconditionally.

:j