Question: Linux kernel releases and Fedora kernel RPMs...

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Apr 14 19:21:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> What I have found is that you can take the redhat kernel config, get
> vanilla kernel source, and run "make oldconfig" using the new kernel
> source - and be just fine.

You've done that successfully with Red Hat 9 or Fedora Core 1? I
thought at least two things would break:

1. NTPL, not patched into the vanilla 2.4 tree, afaik

2. The O_DIRECT patch/hack that allows rpm (actually, the underlying
   Berkeley DB) to work correctly.

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>