AFS and Fedora and the 2.6 kernel

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Apr 15 14:48:31 UTC 2004

We're heavy AFS users here at Boston University, and it's going to be a
major blow to not have an AFS client available. OpenAFS, last I looked, said
that it'd take them a year to properly develop a 2.6 version *if* they got
some funding to do so -- and they don't. Arla doesn't seem to be going
anywhere.

So that leaves the in-kernel AFS -- which was apparently developed by
someone at Red Hat. (An enterprise customer needed it, perhaps?)

I haven't played with this much, but I tried and failed to get it going in
Fedora Core 2 test 1. I'll need to speak with our AFS gurus to really figure
it out. But in the meantime,

Can someone point me to further information, or nicely tell me about, Red
Hat / Fedora's plans in this regard? And what I can do to help? (From a
tester's perspective at the very least.)

Thanks!