ALSA in a 2.6 world

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Fri Apr 16 10:05:47 UTC 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:29, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> But i wonder about Fedora Core 2. That one will be using kernel-2.6,
> which includes ALSA. Typically, a Red Hat / Fedora release does not
> increment the kernel version during the release cycle. That means that
> FC2 and beyond will get stuck with whatever ALSA version was available
> at release time.

http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/

The plan is for 2-3 releases a year, and it seems that so far we are doing
reasonably well in meeting that plan.  Is using a 4-6 month old version of
ALSA really that bad?

Also if you know what you are doing you can mix bits between different FC
releases and include rpms from rawhide when appropriate.  It's not generally
recommended that such things be done, but if you have unusual needs then it
may be the best way to satisfy them.