ALSA in a 2.6 world

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Apr 16 18:27:33 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 16.04.2004 schrieb Russell Coker um 12:05:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:29, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> > But i wonder about Fedora Core 2. That one will be using kernel-2.6,
> > which includes ALSA. Typically, a Red Hat / Fedora release does not
> > increment the kernel version during the release cycle. That means that
> > FC2 and beyond will get stuck with whatever ALSA version was available
> > at release time.
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/
>
> The plan is for 2-3 releases a year, and it seems that so far we are doing
> reasonably well in meeting that plan.  Is using a 4-6 month old version of
> ALSA really that bad?

IMHO:
	Libs, Utils:	Not really.
	Driver:		Yes.

As long as Hardware-Vendors don't provide Linux-Drivers that are
installable in an *easy* way *we* need to provide device-driver updates
during lifetime of the current Fedora Core version to support newly
released hardware. Sound-Cards are a nice example, there are many other.

Dave did IMHO a good job with the fedora kernel with integrating newly
released drivers (from external sources or later released
"vanilla"-kernels). Especially when he integrated support for SATA
Controllers that were not supported by the FC1 release kernel. But IMHO
we need to do more in this area so newly released hardware is supported
shortly after it's availably (if these linux-drivers exists, of course
-- I don't mean writing them completely).

> Also if you know what you are doing

than you can often fix it yourself ;-) Fedora target is not exactly the
end-user, but I think we have enough users that don't know how to fix
such things. Look at fedora mailing lists for examples ;-)

CU
thl