JPEG patent, removal from FC2?

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sun Apr 25 02:42:13 UTC 2004

Laurent GUERBY wrote:

>Will JPEG be removed from FC2? Since Red Hat chose to remove
>some technologies where company were not actively seeking
>royalties and litigation (eg: MS/ C# / mono), I assume that
>there's some "chance" of Red Hat taking action on this:
>
><http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/zd/20040422/tc_zd/125185>

Laurent,
I believe that this subject is very delicate... This patent is due soon
and that's why I believe they're going after everyone who is using the
patented work, to make money while they can. So far , the other
technologies removed from fedora have patents that will last for a long
time (like mp3)  , so this is a new situation that probably will be
taken care by the legal folks at redhat..
My opinion is that we should be aware. Removing JPEG support is a huge
task (as many applications use this feature) and probably it would take
a huge time to remove it now and then to add it back later when the
patent expires.. So , this has to be studied before removing support...

--
Pedro Macedo