What makes a production kernel?

Sun Apr 25 23:02:03 UTC 2004

Le lun, 26/04/2004 à 08:50 +1000, Paul Gear a écrit :
> Tom Diehl wrote:
> > What I fail to see is why people buy this crap from companies and then
> > whine on these lists that it does not work. This is just plain stupid.
> > Do you really think whining that you screwed up on these lists is going
> > to change anything?? PLEASE PLEASE go whine to NVIDIA, or buy from a
> > hardware vendor who is interested in supporting open source.
>
> Let me try to help you see:  The only entry-level AGP video cards i can
> buy new now locally (Brisbane, Australia) are ATI and NVIDIA.  (A
> GeForce2 MX400 (!) 64 Mb for AU$58 and a Radeon 9200 SE 64 Mb for
> AU$65.)  I'm sure the market is different in other countries, but i
> don't think Australia is an unrepresentative part of the world.

Well, the Radeon 9200 is actually supposed to be the fastest video card
with open 3d support right now. (not on par with the closed driver, but
working at least)

Looks like it'll be the G400/G500 Linux successor for some time. ATI
should thank the people who paid for developement of an open driver for
their cards. They'll sure get some sells they don't deserve now.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot