kernel version numbers

Craig Cruden ccruden at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 26 06:15:35 UTC 2004

I know I have seen this several times before....
sometimes I see it in the build notice, sometimes not.

Anyways, is there a file in the installation of either
the source or the stock kernel that summarizes how it
maps to the kernel.org version.

I was thinking that if this does not exist, maybe
something like:

"build-2.6.5-1.332" that is a text file containing
which file it is built upon like "linux-2.6.5-rc2-bk1"

and a list of patches that are applied against that
"base".