using a bittorent based network for rpms integrated in up2date,

Shahms King shahms at shahms.com
Mon Apr 26 15:00:09 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 08:23, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 09:30:27AM +0000, Kristof Vansant wrote:
> > Using bittorent or edonkey protocol. This would safe a lot of bandwidth and
> > costs for the hosts (mirrors etc.) Downloads would go a lot faster.
>
> Bittorrent really only works well on big files
>
> > I don't mind being a "server" for others as long as I can say how mutch is
> > uploaded and shared etc.
> > Plus being able to turn it off if I really want to. Share code, share
> > bandwidth :)
>
> Also suggested has been alt.binaries.linux.updates.fedora....
>
> Alan

There is currently a project at: http://pdtp.org/static/index.html that
aims to make a "bittorrent like" protocol that is more suited to solving
this exact problem.  The project is just getting started, but looks
pretty promising.  If any enterprising young hackers out there want to
make updates faster for the rest of us, they should take a look at it.
--
Shahms King <shahms at shahms.com>