kernel updates from external trees

David T Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Tue Apr 27 18:16:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 06:14 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 21:59, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> > There is a very good reason for this - when you add new code to the
> > kernel, you have a greater chance that something will break that someone
> > depends upon. Especially the ability to compile a third party driver
> > against the kernel source.
> > [...]
>
> Yes, I know this and I understand the benefits.  My question was more
> for the development kernels.  I.e. before an official release, do the
> redhat/fedora kernels get stuff pulled in from other trees?  I probably
> should have been more clear.

Not a RH kernel developer but .... I would be quite certain that no
extra effort is made to pull in external trees just prior to release.
That would invalidate all of the prior testing to ensure that a stable
kernel is included in the release.  Sure, you may lose some nifty new
feature, or even miss out on a few bug fixes, but the end goal is a
known commodity that can be unleashed on the world.  The bug fixes can
be incorporated into an errata kernel after they have been more
thoroughly tested.

--
David T Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>