X11 dependencies

Charles Lopes tjarls at iee.lu
Thu Apr 29 16:56:34 UTC 2004

When xorg-x11 replaced XFree86 it was my understanding that FC2 was
going to be made X11 implementation agnostic. By looking at the current
dependencies in rawhide, a few packages still need either XFree86-libs
(libgnomeui) or XFree86-devel (gtk2-devel, gtk+-devel, imlib-devel,
SDL-devel, qt-devel, pango-devel, startup-notification-devel, tk-devel).
In the future, it may become desirable to replace all or part of
xorg-x11 packages by alternate packages like the standalone libraries,
kdrive or Xizzle. If so it might also be a good idea not to introduce
dependencies on the names xorg-x11, xorg-x11-libs.
I would like to suggest that dependencies on -libs be dropped. Please
correct me if I'm wrong but they don't seem to be serving any purpose.
(Ok, I found a few cases where the indirect dependency is useful. For
example, xorg-x11-Xvfb -> xorg-x11 -> xorg-x11-libs ->
xorg-x11-libs-data. But that's a bit long way to make sure that Xvfb
finds rgb.txt.)
xorg-x11-xfs already provides xfs, xorg-x11-twm twm and so on. Something
similar could be done for xorg-x11 ("x11", "x", "xserver") or
xorg-x11-libs-data (x11-libs-data for example; Xvnc, Xvfb could then
require it)
xorg-x11 requires xorg-x11-base-fonts. That could be changed to just
"base-fonts". (If not already done ;-) )
Well you get the idea. So do you have any plans to introduce this type
of changes? Is it worth to look into it and offer a more complete
suggestion?

Charles