kernel updates from external trees

Josh Boyer jwboyer at charter.net
Fri Apr 30 03:14:58 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 07:38, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> But to be honest, the best way to get kernel changes done is to send
> them for inclusion into the upstream (kernel.org) kernels. The first
> question I and Dave will ask for *any* patch is "why isn't it in
> upstream", because if it's not good enough for upstream why would it be
> good enough for us?

Good point.  But that also kinda goes back to the issue that was brought
up in this thread about it being difficult sometimes to get patches
merged because we don't have immediate name recognition.

Don't get me wrong, I think that folks should definitely send patches to
the mainline first.  It's just that sometimes we may need a little help
getting those patches looked at.  So if we send them to both Fedora and
the mainline, maybe someone in Fedora will point out in the merits of
the patch (or lack there of) to Linus and company.  Or maybe not :).

josh