rhythmbox radio/mp3

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Apr 30 12:44:27 UTC 2004

Let's say that hypothetically speaking I were to install some packages
from http://rpm.livna.org and then rebuild the gstreamer-plugins src.rpm
except using a source tarball from gnome instead of the red hat one with
removed stuff.

And lets this hypothetically resulted in the following plugins:

+/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstdvdreadsrc.so
+/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstffmpegcolorspace.so
+/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstlibfame.so
+/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstmp1videoparse.so
+/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstmpeg1systemencode.so
+/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstmpeg2subt.so
+/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstmpegaudio.so
+/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstmpegaudioparse.so
+/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstmpegstream.so
+/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstxvid.so

but after installing and running gst-register, when trying to play a
shoutcast, rhythmbox still pops up a dialog stating:

"There is no element present to handle the stream's mime type
audio/mpeg."

Where would I tell it that it has new gstreamer plugins it can use?
I'm tempted to just build rhythmbox from source (rebuild the rpm) but I
don't think that is the issue, I've had previous installs of rhythmbox
that did simply pick up on the fact that I rebuilt gst-plugins and new
capabilities were there.

--
Cheap Linux CD's - http://mpeters.us/linux/