Self-introduction: Dan Kegel

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Aug 1 04:58:37 UTC 2004

1. Full legal name
Daniel Richard Kegel

2. Country, City
USA, Los Angeles

3. Profession or Student status
Senior Software Engineer

4. Company or School
Google (http://google.com)

5. Your goals in the Fedora Project
* Which packages do you want to see published?
I'm interested in cross-compilers.  Specifically,
I'm adding RPM support to the gcc/glibc cross-toolchain build script
http://kegel.com/crosstool, and would like to see this make
it into Fedora.  I'll probably need a fair bit of hand-holding
with the RPM naming and structuring...

* Do you want to do QA?
On my own packages, sure.  Probably don't have time to help with others, sadly.

* Anything else special?

6. Historical qualifications

* What other projects have you worked on in the past?
You asked, so here's a sample, with mostly correct dates:
1984: borrowed control of Rose Bowl scoreboard for a couple hours :-)
1985: wrote nansi.sys.  Relicensed later under GPL for the FreeDos project.
1989: wrote little bit of rexec client code (ended up in rmt library and gnu tar)
1991: added features to npasswd (see comp.archives)
1992: wrote "horton" and "uwho" email directory programs
1995: wrote http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~dank/isdn/
1999: wrote http://kegel.com/c10k.html
2000: served on JSR-51 expert group (who helped the Java NIO developers a bit)
2000: wrote http://kegel.com/dkftpbench
2003: wrote http://kegel.com/remedy, got ~2000 people to cosign my comment on the MS settlement
2003: submitted a bug fix or two to gcc and glibc projects
2003: added a unit test or two to Wine (cf. http://www.kerneltraffic.org/wine/quotes/Dan_Kegel.html)
2003: helped triage lots of crash bugs in OpenOffice (cf. http://kegel.com/openoffice)
2003-2004: Current project is 'crosstool'; it's in use by a number of people.

* What computer languages and other skills do you know?
My primary language is C/C++, though I've used a lot of Java and sh.

* Why should we trust you?
I'm a pretty good programmer, and my heart's in the right place.

7. GPG KEYID and fingerprint

pub  1024D/91626947 2004-08-01 Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com>
      Key fingerprint = F632 11B8 F82C DD8E 3586  B879 1291 A440 9162 6947
sub  1024g/66EF7CAE 2004-08-01

[ er, that's the signature for the above message in a text file.
   One of these days I guess I'll install Enigmail so Mozilla
   can sign outgoing messages for me...]

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com