Automake 1.9 breakage

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 1 15:57:56 UTC 2004

Hi,

The new automake 1.9 breaks several packages. find-utils was the first one I ran
into. You get messages like this:

Remember to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL' to `configure.in'.
Using `AC_PROG_RANLIB' is rendered obsolete by 'AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'

This is easily fixed by using AC_PROG_LIBTOOL instead of AC_PROG_RANLIB. But then
you find that the scripts generated by automake 1.9 are much stricted. You get
stuff like this next:

locate/testsuite/Makefile.am:16: required directory locate/testsuite/inputs
does not exist

The easy fix is to delete that directory from the Makefile.am in
locate/testsuite.

The next package with breakage is shadow-utils. You get a message like this:

libtool: unrecognized option `--tag=CC'
Try `libtool --help' for more information.

That message comes from ./libtool in the shadow-utils build directory. This file
is generated from configure. But in it I find:

# The names of the tagged configurations supported by this script.
available_tags=" CXX F77"

It never detected CC.

I really think this will be a big push up to convert things over to the new
automake. I will put the findutils patch in bugzilla.

-Steve Grubb