bash rpm-requires

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 17:43:23 UTC 2004

>Now the question is do you really want rpmbuild to automatically pull in
>requirements on executables that are used solely in if [ ]  shell logic?

The requirements should be augmented, not replaced by. Using your example on my
RH9 machine:

./sh2rpms /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc 2>/dev/null
grep-2.5.1-7.8
XFree86-4.3.0-2.90.55
XFree86-tools-4.3.0-2.90.55

Ok, there's 3 packages named. The package in question is:

rpm -qf /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
xinitrc-3.32-1

So lets see what the requirements are:
rpmquery --requires xinitrc-3.32-1
/bin/bash
/bin/bash
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
XFree86
config(xinitrc) = 3.32-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
switchdesk >= 3.7

Looks like we have found 2 additional/supplemental requirements not stated.

>I really don't think the --rpm-requires parsing is robust enough to
>automate this for all possible completely valid shellscript logic that
>a script on the system would need to employ.

I think I said that. Problem #2 needs tightening up to truely trust it.

>This is surely a useful tool to some extent to review for QA and bugreporting.

Right. In the absence of being able to automate it, I hope some people use it to
better document the runtime requirements.

-Steve Grubb