Fedora Extras vs. CLOSED RAWHIDE

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 18:25:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 19:35:33 +0200, Michael Schwendt
<fedora at wir-sind-cool.org> wrote:
> Fedora Alternatives doesn't exist yet unless fedora.us agreed on reopening
> the "patches" repository (albeit with a different name) which contained
> unofficial upgrade packages for Red Hat Linux and Fedora Core and anything
> that depends on them.

Cough.. technically  Fedora Extras doesn't actually exist yet either.
I'm trying to make a distinction between what we have now.. with
fedora.us with a distinctly seperate 3rd party development process
from core, and what we are suppose to have inside the Fedora project
officially. If people want to discuss what fedora.us can do or change
in the near term fine, but i thought this thread was as aimed at
mythical Red Hat managed 'Fedora Extras'  I see no reason to ignore FA
as a solution to problems with FE. FA is in the master plan, if Red
Hat isn't serious about providing the infrastrcture for FA as well as
FE then remove FA from the skeleton plan and I'll stop pointing to it.

> P.S. If memory serves correctly, the description of Fedora Alternatives on
> the Fedora Project "Terminology" page has been updated to be more
> detailed.

You mean updated somewhere else and the description on the page isn't
representitive of the latest thinking? I'd call the current definition
on the page...verbose..but not necessarily detailed. Tiemann had
Alternatives in his Collections straw man, but I don't think we can
call Tiemann's drug induced vision of the future the official
delusionary worldview yet.

-jef"no really this is my last post to the thread... i swear"spaleta