clean up updates/testing

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 13:41:19 UTC 2004

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:16:29 +0200, Farkas Levente <lfarkas at bppiac.hu> wrote:
> hi,
> is there any reason why outdated rpms are in updates/testing/ directory?
> eg: in
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/2/i386/
> kernel and xorg-x11 packages?
> imho it'd be useful to delete them since they are very confusing now.
> just my 2c.

Why is it confusing? How is it any more confusing that having outdated
kernels in
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/2/i386/
Rpm and rpm management tools like yum and apt know how to parse the versioning
so you should never need to worry about whether or not these versions
are out-dated.
In the common upgrade situations.

In fact I say keeping them in the trees helps in troubleshooting
situations, where someone
is trying to confirm another persons bug report or problem and needs
to make sure they have the same version installed to do the
comparison.  Downgrading a package to confirm a problem/fix while
helping someone troubleshoot is not unheard of.

-jef