Device change for Sil 3112 in latest kernel

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Sat Aug 7 17:57:28 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 19:18, Jesse Keating wrote:

> So I updated to the latest released 2.6.7 kernel, but when I rebooted
> swap wasn't being mounted anymore, neither was the non LABEL referenced
> partitions.  After a closer look, it seems that the disk device for Sil
> 3112 SATA has changed from a /dev/hdX to /dev/sdX.  IDE -> SCSI.  This
> can catch quite a lot of people and break some systems.  Is there
> anything we can do to fix this?

always mount by label, and we need to add a "add all swap automatic"
thing....

It's a problem in that SATA is going to be driven by /dev/sdX for now,
but that some cards happen to work mostly kinda via the older legacy
driver. It's a bit of a pain during the migration, but it the pain
should be finite and limited due to mount-by-label, udev etc etc