RPMGroups -- time to refresh? [was Re: Question about how to announce packages]

Michael Tiemann tiemann at redhat.com
Sun Aug 8 23:47:22 UTC 2004

Actually, I think it's an excellent question to ask how things like this
(and related subjects) should be organized.  I don't think we should be
stuck with categorizations that were defined, by fiat, 5+ years ago.
Much has happened, and a good (better?) characterization tree might be a
good thing for a near-term version of Fedora.  Eric Raymond has spoken
that he'd like to present the Trove (http://www.catb.org/~esr/trove/).
I for one think it might be useful to find some happy medium between the
obviously small number of groups defined by
http://www.fedora.us/wiki/RPMGroups, the large number defined by the
Trove, those defined implicitly and explicitly by ibiblio, etc.  I don't
want this to confound the discussion about how Fedora Collections might
be defined, but I do think that a proper hierarchy of functionality
would help both the archivists, collectors, and applicators of open
source technologies.