Using updates-testing was [Re: Device change for Sil 3112 in latest kernel]

Xose Vazquez Perez xose at astures.jazztel.es
Mon Aug 9 00:20:58 UTC 2004

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> crisis updates is really in balance at all. The move away from
> security backporting and a loss of a coherent way to get people update
> notices they can read before the updates become available for install

Do you mean RHEL? This is Fedora, and I don't like to have a perpetual
kernel in the distribucion as RHEL has. Mainly because upstream kernel
is moving _very_ fast(and stable) and in Fedora there is no enough
'hacker power' to do backports of _all_ new features/fixes/... that
upstream brings.
I can *not* understand how FC-1 still has a 2.4.22 kernel, released
*ONE* year ago.

> throws the balance off a great deal from what has come before.  And
> frankly, the change in how upstream kernel development is going to
> process new features into the stable tree isn't going to make
> situations like this any better.

2.6.x kernel.org is the stablest and the highest quality kernel
that Torvalds has released. To get anything similar to this
with any 2.4.x, you had to get a 2.4.2x and a -ac patch.

--
x86-64 GenuineIntel