Broadcasting Annoyances

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Aug 11 13:05:47 UTC 2004

Am I the only person who's sick and tired of all manner of error
messages that are being splattered across all open console logins just
because some programmer wants to do that?

Example: Is it really necessary for ordinary users to get the following
from cdparanoia:

cdparanoia: Using deprecated /dev/sg mechanism instead of SG_IO on the actual device will also suggest you mig

As if the ordinary user (who, in my instance didn't even launch the
process) could do anything about such a condition. Heck, I'd warrant
most users wouldn't even understand it. Yet, in this example, this
messages comes up every minute or so.

I could come up with other examples, but I think my point is
sufficiently illustrated.

Clearly such messages should go to logs. But, isn't this broadcast
abuse? I think so and dearly wish we had a mechanism to block such
abuse.

				Janina