Ports to other architectures was Re: Fedora Core on the Alpha

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Aug 11 13:38:40 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 18:10 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> not sure on the alpha port  but ive just ordered a sun box and im most likely
> going to put linux on it,  so im intreseted in a sparc port.  perhaps  people
> involved in porting to non x86 based architectures could give progress
> reports  and  tips on areas that need work.

You want Aurora Linux (http://www.auroralinux.org), headed by Tom
Callaway.  The most current test release is Wombat, which is based off
Fedora Core 1.92 (FC2 Test2 I believe).  There are not yet ISOs for
Wombat, so you have to install the Aurora 1.0 release from CDs first,
then yum update to Wombat, but I've done this about 5 times now with
good results.

http://lists.auroralinux.org/pipermail/aurora-sparc-announce/2004-
May/000020.html
http://lists.auroralinux.org/pipermail/aurora-sparc-user/2004-
July/001650.html

(if you have problems using yum behind a firewall, you have to modify
the older yum .py files to use passive FTP, just ask)

Dan