Fedora Core on the Alpha

Mike Barnes strepsil at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 10:37:26 UTC 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:07:22 -0400 (EDT), Gary Molenkamp
<gary at sharcnet.ca> wrote:
> I am also eager for an alpha port and am willing to 'donate' some access
> to a variety of alphas:

I was hoping to get around my Anaconda issues before bringing it up
here, but - as Cristian posted - we have a Core 2 tree (I took the
liberty of bestowing a new code name on it) for the Alpha built, and
mostly stable, aside from some glibc threading issues.

ftp://ftp.maths.monash.edu.au/pub/carmen/

The downside is that there's no working Anaconda right now. It has
issues with module loading, which I've been meaning to get to the
bottom of with the help of the anaconda-devel list for a while, but
the time never seems to be there for it.

If anyone fancies some manual force upgrading of packages, booting off
7.2 rescue CDs, installing some more, fixing what broken until Yum
works, and then doing the rest, you can get a pretty good facsimile of
FC2 running on an Alpha. It's been done by a few people, mainly
hanging out on axp-list, but it's barely documented.

If anyone wants to pick this up and run with it, be my guest. It'll
probably serve as a pretty good development base for building Core 3
on.